Childhood was made so much sweeter by these 20 books. With these stories on your shelf, bedtimes will never be a bore.
As an adult there are only a handful of books that will stay with you after the last page or teach you a valuable lesson, but the lessons we learnt from children’s books stay with us for decades.
I personally can’t wait to hand my child copies of ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’ or ‘The Famous Five’. They may read them in e-book format, but I still hope they read them.
Whether you’re feeling nostalgic, or want some ideas on great children’s books for your kids, here are 20 classic children’s books for a variety of ages.
1. Oh, The Places You’ll Go! by Dr Seuss
2. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle’s
3. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S Lewis
4. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
5. Matilda by Roald Dahl
6. The Famous Five by Enid Blyton
7. Harry Potter Series by J.K Rowling
8. Once by Morris Gleitzman
9. Holes by Louis Sachar
10. Charlotte’s Webb by E.B. White
11. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
12. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
13. The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter
14. The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
15. Peter Pan by J.M Barrie
16. The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan
17. A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond
18. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
19. Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans
20. Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne
There are so many more amazing books that could have made our top 20 list. What are your favourite children’s books?