A Queensland man who disappeared to join the terrorist group Islamic State overseas did not speak of his plans before leaving.

A Queensland man who has been killed after travelling to fight for the terrorist group Islamic State (IS) was shy and did not speak of his plans, a spokesman for his former mosque says.

Afghan-born Zia AbdulHaq, 33, was killed during the conflict on October 3, The Australian newspaper reports.

AbdulHaq migrated to Australia in his 20s and at one point attended the Holland Park Mosque, in Brisbane’s west.

He was a shy person, mosque spokesman Ali Kadri said.

“He was here for 10 years and went away last August,” Mr Kadri told AAP.

AbdulHaq did not speak of his plans before disappearing.

He lived in Logan, south of Brisbane, with his now ex-wife and son before travelling to Syria to join IS.

His divorce is understood to have been difficult and his wife would not let him visit his two children.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said the government was aware of the reported death but it had not yet been confirmed.

As Australia did not have a diplomatic mission in Syria, the government’s capacity to verify the report was limited, she said.

“I cannot confirm on grounds of privacy whether the individual’s passport was cancelled on the basis of security concerns,” Ms Bishop said in a statement.

It has previously been reported AbdulHaq was a former Brisbane City Council finance worker.