Pre-production of the fifth instalment of the Pirates of the Caribbean series has already begun in Queensland.

The fifth instalment of the hugely popular Pirates of the Caribbean series is set to become Australia’s largest ever feature film, with cameras expected to roll in Queensland’s north in February.

Arts Minister Ian Walker says the latest swashbuckler from the high-profile franchise will deliver a much-needed boost to the Sunshine State’s film industry and local economy.

“The contract was signed yesterday so this is pretty fresh news,” he told reporters on Thursday.

“I think everybody loves Pirates, and I think everybody is going to love Pirates of the Caribbean 5.”

Mr Walker said pre-production had already started on the Gold Coast and production would begin in February before moving to north Queensland.

The film is expected to bring $100 million and more than 3000 jobs to the state, including to rural and regional areas.

Mr Walker said that would exceed the number of jobs created during major productions filmed in Australia such as San Andreas and Angelina Jolie’s Unbroken.

“Given that it’s a pirate film, blokes with beards get preference so, if you’re interested?” he told a bearded reporter.

Screen Queensland’s Tracey Vieira said they faced stiff competition from state rivals and Mexico before securing the deal with The Walt Disney Studios.

“We are thrilled to see Pirates 5 sail into Queensland,” she said in a statement.

Mr Walker was hopeful Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales would act as a rolling advertisement of the state’s capable cast, crew and facilities for future blockbusters.

“It is one of those industries in which success breeds success.”

The full cast is yet to be announced but Johnny Depp is expected to cast his anchor in the Sunshine State at some stage before the film’s release in July 2017.