Victoria’s chief commissioner Ken Lay says evidence suggests terror suspect Numan Haider may not have acted alone.
A terror suspect fatally shot following the stabbing of two police officers may not have been acting alone, Victoria’s top cop says.
“On the night, there is some information that would suggest otherwise,” Chief Commissioner Ken Lay told ABC radio in Melbourne on Thursday.
Mr Lay said police had information Numan Haider, 18, was talking to others before Tuesday night’s attack outside Endeavour Hills police station.
“There’s some information that he was certainly talking to other people around the time,” he said.
“It’s certainly something we’re pursuing.”
Mr Lay said it was unclear whether others might have dropped him off or were waiting for him.
“That’ll be clarified in a little while,” he said.
Mr Lay also dismissed claims Mr Haider may have intended to behead the police officers.
“There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that I’m aware of that would suggest that was the intention,” he said.
“Having said that, there were some really worrying pieces about this young man’s behaviour that we are working through.
“It’s not helpful to be making these great leaps based on speculation.”
Mr Lay said police are “quietly and methodically” working through evidence.
Police say the officer had no other choice after the known terror suspect repeatedly stabbed an Australian Federal Police officer and the leading senior constable who shot him.
Haider, of Narre Warren, had been seen at a shopping centre displaying a flag linked with jihadist group Islamic State, or ISIL, and last week had his passport cancelled on national security grounds.