A Brisbane man, who police claim has extreme views, allegedly sent cash to members of a terrorist group in Syria, using code words to avoid detection.

A Brisbane extremist secretly sent cash to terrorists in Syria and arranged for fighters to travel there, federal police allege.

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) say Omar Succarieh has professed his love for Syria-based terror group Jabhat al-Nusra, has contempt for Australian society, and supports Islamic law being implemented here.

In court documents filed for Succarieh’s failed bail application, federal police allege he has frequently accessed graphic material relating to violent Islamic militarism, torture, mutilations and executions.

Succarieh, 31, and 22-year-old Agim Kruezi were arrested last week in a series of raids in the Brisbane region.

Police confirmed more raids in Brisbane and Logan on Thursday were linked to a simultaneous large-scale operation in Sydney, during which one man was charged over planning to execute a member of the public.

A sworn statement by a federal agent, filed in the Supreme Court in Brisbane, alleges a series of secret recordings and intercepted telephone conversations reveal Succarieh transferred two sums of cash to his brother Abraham in Syria in February and June 2014.

Their brother Ahmed Succarieh reportedly became Australia’s first suicide bomber in Syria last year.

Police say one transfer was worth $27,000 and the money was divided between a group of Jabhat al-Nusra members for their activities.

They also allege Succarieh was arranging for visitors to join Abraham to fight in Syria.

When arranging the money transfers, the brothers initially used code such as “sweets” and “funding for schools” but in later conversations dropped the code and referred to exchanging “27 Aussies” for US dollars.

One of the cash shipments was allegedly couriered to Succarieh’s brother-in-law in Lebanon, where it was given to Succarieh’s mother, who gave it to Abraham.

“I love Jabhat al-Nusra, love it … yeah I’m a JN,” Succarieh allegedly stated at the iQraa Islamic Centre at Logan, which he ran and where he met associates, according to federal police.

The father of three and alleged associate of Australian Sheikh Mostafa Mahamed was also allegedly recorded discussing videos of Jabhat al-Nusra executions in which he said victims received “a bullet in the head” and “die without a struggle”.

Succarieh’s alleged associate Kruezi was intercepted at Brisbane airport in March intending to join jihadists in Syria, and police claim had images of himself with an al-Qaeda flag, and images of empty graves with the statement “Are you ready?”.

According to federal police, Succarieh told his wife he had to leave Australia before he was arrested – one day before police raided his home and eight other premises on September 10.

He has been charged with getting funds to, from or for a terrorist organisation and preparing for incursions into foreign states for hostile activities.

He was denied bail on Thursday afternoon amid fears he could try to flee.

Succarieh’s barrister, Peter Callaghan SC, argued the charges were “bad law” and it would be difficult to prove any money was intended for Jabhat al-Nusra.

Justice David Jackson expressed concern about the quality of some of the evidence but denied bail, referring to a risk of Succarieh failing to surrender into custody.