Jonathan Trott says he is available to return to England duty for the first time since sensationally leaving the Ashes tour with a stress-related illness.

After quitting last summer’s Ashes tour in a blaze of controversy, England batsman Jonathan Trott now says he is ready for an international recall.

Trott dramatically quit the tour following the first Test in Brisbane, citing a stress-related illness, and has not played for England since.

However, the 33-year-old South Africa-born right-hander has returned to county duty with Warwickshire, although a recurrence of the illness in April led to another break from cricket.

But since coming back again with the Midlands county in June, Trott has been in fine form for Warwickshire with four centuries — two each in the County Championship and the 50-over One Day Cup.

However, his time away from the international scene meant Trott was not awarded a central contract by the England and Wales Cricket Board last week.

Nevertheless, Trott told the BBC on Tuesday he had been “available” for England duty for several weeks.

“The ECB and I have had our final get-together. I’ve been signed off by the ECB,” said Trott.

“Whatever comes along with regards to selection, maybe. I’m not putting too much pressure on myself,” added Trott, who in 49 Tests has scored 3,763 runs including nine hundreds at an average of 46.75.

“There’s been some challenging times. Some tough times. But I’ve been available a while, for the last month or two, I suppose, in terms of selection and I’m enjoying my cricket.

“I’ve been feeling good for a while now. It’s been great going back to Warwickshire. The last couple of months with Warwickshire have been fantastic.”

Gary Ballance has taken a firm grip on Trott’s old number three position in the England Test side but that position has proved far more problematic with regard to one-day internationals, where Trott averages 51.25 in 68 matches.