Queensland public hospital doctors have voted to sign new contracts after the state government made changes.
Queensland doctors have voted to accept the state government’s new individual contracts after months of bitter wrangling.
Just more than half the doctors involved in an Australian Salaried Medical Officers Federation ballot voted in favour of the new individual contracts.
It follows months of bickering between the Newman government and doctors.
Federation president Dr Tony Sara says the contracts are only barely acceptable, but doctors don’t want talks to drag out any longer.
“This can’t be considered an overwhelming vote in favour of the government’s contracts,” he said in a statement on Wednesday.
“This is the best possible contract we could get from a government, which is seemingly determined to put the needs of bureaucrats ahead of the needs of Queenslanders.”
Dr Sara also said all trust between the government and doctors had been lost and it was up to government to rebuild it.
He was also disappointed Premier Campbell Newman had dumped assistant health minister Chris Davis from cabinet after he criticised the contracts.
“Dr Davis knew the contracts his government were trying to force through would strip away the rights of patients and doctors, so he did what was right and spoke out against them,” Dr Sara said.
“It’s very disappointing that the premier has dismissed Dr Davis for standing up for the needs of Queenslanders.”
Dr Davis is due to hold a press conference about his future on Thursday morning.