A Queensland teenager who was at base camp when a deadly avalanche hit says she’ll try again next year to scale Mount Everest.
A Queensland teenager whose attempt on Mount Everest was thwarted by a deadly avalanche says she’ll try again, despite the obvious risks.
Alyssa Azar, 17, arrived back in Brisbane on Thursday night after she and fellow climbers were forced to abandon their summit attempts after an avalanche killed at least 16 Sherpa guides last month.
The tragedy sparked a labour dispute between guides and the government and a boycott that left foreign expeditions no choice but to abandon their plans.
Ms Azar was at basecamp with the avalanche struck, and says the loss of so many lives is a tragedy.
But she says she’ll try again next year.
“It’s a loss that we all take on, but at the same time it’s part of what we do as well, but at the end of the day it could be any one of us,” she told the ABC.
“The Sherpas are like our family over there, so there is that part of it as well – that emotional part.
“I was a really tough decision to make but I think we would have all wanted to keep climbing if we could have, but at the same time no hard feelings about having to turn back and go again another year.”