New figures show that only four young offenders have been sent to Queensland’s newest bootcamp since it opened in January.
Only four young criminals have been sentenced to Queensland’s newest bootcamp.
The Lincoln Springs camp, on a remote station two hours west of Ingham, was set up in January after a Kuranda-based camp closed when its first two residents escaped and threatened staff with a knife.
Just four young offenders had been sentenced to Lincoln Springs, with the last due to leave in early May, figures released by Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie said on Tuesday.
The camp can house 12 people and, to prevent it sitting idle, 11 young offenders were transferred from other facilities despite not being sentenced to the bootcamp.
Since bootcamps were set up about a year ago on the Gold Coast, Fraser Coast and Rockhampton, 65 young people have started the program, with 33 successfully completing it.
Mr Bleijie said those who had completed the camps had reported improved family relationships, re-engagement with education or employment, and improved health and wellbeing.
Beyond Billabong won the $2 million contract to run Lincoln Springs.
Labor said it was a waste of money, with youth detention traditionally costing more than twice as much as adult jails.
“I would argue that the entire program has been a schemozzle from the get go,” opposition police spokesman Bill Byrne told AAP.
“It’s a government trying to construct an arrangement that meet their mantra.
“It’s not based on good advice or best practice around the world.”
Mr Bleijie says Lincoln Springs is building on the success of the other camps, which have been described as a “welcome innovation” by the President of the Children’s Court.
“It’s a matter for the courts which and how many offenders are sentenced to Lincoln Springs and it’s great to see that 15 young people have taken part in the camp, which is already showing great signs of success.”