Perth coach Trevor Gleeson has labelled the delay over an NBL investigation into last week’s on-court brawl “inexcusable and ridiculous”.

Perth coach Trevor Gleeson has labelled as inexcusable and ridiculous the delay over hearing charges from the National Basketball League’s investigation into the post-match altercation with Adelaide, but his ladder-leading side continues to get the job done on the court.

Perth (18-6) restricted third-placed Melbourne (12-11) to just 14 points in each of the last two quarters on their way to a 87-75 home win over the Tigers, with big man Matt Knight playing for the first time in several weeks.

They can’t finish any lower than second and have made the finals for a mind-boggling 28th straight season.

But Gleeson was less happy about the time being taken to hear all the charges arising out of the post-match brawl between the Wildcats and 36ers in Perth on February 14 – with at least three charges still to be heard.

Last Monday, the NBL charged Perth’s James Ennis with striking Adelaide’s Mitch Creek, and 36ers coach Joey Wright with striking Wildcats assistant coach Adam Tatalovich and both clubs were found guilty of breaching the NBL Code of Conduct.

The charge against Ennis was dismissed the following day by the NBL judiciary.

However on Wednesday, Tatalovich was charged with bringing the game Into disrepute and misconduct in relation to his alleged physical contact and abusive language directed at Wright, after Adelaide filed an official complaint with the NBL.

Those charges have yet to be heard, while Wright’s charge was meant to be heard last Friday but was deferred to a later date due to unanticipated work commitments and the overseas absence of panel members.

“It’s ridiculous, it’s comical really,” Gleeson said.

“You’ve got all the information these days, all the technology, you’ve got three different camera angles, you’ve got all the photos.

“There’s no excuse for it to be dragged into 10, 11 days. It’s crazy.”

Perth’s next opponent is fourth-placed Sydney, who split their north Queensland road double and have called back Jesse Sanders to replace fellow American guard Charles Carmouche after the latter returned home to be with his ill mother.

Sydney (11-11), who won 85-63 at Cairns (9-15) and lost 90-83 to last-placed Townsville (8-14), released Sanders earlier in the season to accommodate NBA forward Sam Young.

Kings coach Shane Heal said Sanders would help his side, though they would have to make more adjustments.

“It’s going to be (destabilising), there’s no doubt about it, but we have to try and get it done against the best team in the competition,” Heal told AAP.

Sparked by 27 points from centre Daniel Johnson, second-placed Adelaide (15-8) squeezed out a 96-92 home victory over New Zealand Breakers (9-14).

The three-time defending champions chances of making the finals are fading after a round in which they also lost 88-68 at resurgent Wollongong (10-13).

Red-hot guard Rotnei Clarke scored 28 points for the Hawks, who have moved above the Breakers into outright fifth.