The Queensland premier has reportedly attacked the ABC for undermining the safety of its head of an anti-bikie team by broadcasting images of his house.
Queensland Premier Campbell Newman has reportedly accused the ABC of undermining the “security and safety” of the new head of an anti-bikie team.
The government came under fire this week over the appointment of retired brigadier Bill Mellor as chief of the anti-bikie Strategic Monitoring Team.
Mr Newman served under Mr Mellor when they were in the army.
Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie said the government had not announced the appointment because it was a simple transfer from Mr Mellor’s other role in government.
Following an ABC report about the appointment on Thursday, Mr Newman wrote to Prime Minister Tony Abbott to complain that the story “seriously and maliciously undermined the security and safety” of Mr Mellor by showing footage of his home, News Corp Australia reported on Saturday.
According to the report, police were sent to Mr Mellor’s home after the broadcast to provide protection.
The ABC reportedly wrote to Mr Newman and Mr Mellor saying it had taken immediate action to pixelate the footage and remove any reference to the suburb.
It said that since a complaint had been lodged, the matter would be the subject of an inquiry by the ABC’s audience and consumer affairs department, News Corp Australia reported.