I love party planning. And with so much inspiration available, I thought I’d share some of my favourite looks for the Christmas/New Year season.
Rustic black and white
Black and white can be a stark party theme and lends itself well to art deco-style glamour when used in gloss with gold. I love this understated take with matte textures and some timber to soften the look.
* Mix textures of timber and natural fibres with crockery in neutral tones
* Carry a mixed prints through your settings, with wrapping paper in coordinating designs – use it for table settings, centrepieces, or to wrap small boxes with take-home gifts for your guests
* Pine cones and needles look great in bowls on the table
* Use wooden chopping boards as serving platters
* A wrapped chocolate cookie is a cute place setting and will tie in nicely with the colour theme
* Geometric and Aztec or Batik prints look striking in mixed neutral colours
* Mix old and new. Found objects will add to the rustic look
A touch of green
White with accents of metallics and green is a fresh and summery party look. Sprigs of herbs make gorgeous trims for place settings and garlands of green can be used to trim the table.
* Use small white and clear glasses and planters with small plants as table settings or centrepieces
* Use gold plastic charge plates under the main plate to add a pop of metallic to the table
* Tie a sprig of rosemary with string around napkins
* If you have a really long table, run foliage and garlands down the centre
* Add some fruit such as lemons, limes and apples for an even brighter look
Chanel’s spring 2009 show (pictured above) featured hundreds of white paper flowers. I love this idea for a photo wall and have plans to do something similar for my sister’s 30th in January… wish me luck.
White parties are a popular choice as the decor is elegant and sophisticated, and easy to achieve with flowers (orchids, roses and peonies are stunning choices), balloons and white tablewear.
* Include a white dress code on your invitations so your guests know to dress in theme
* Use a lot of tea lights to add sparkle at night
* Serve white cocktails with Baileys or vodka
* Set a lolly buffet with mints, marshmallows and white lollies
* Clear toffees set on sticks make cute treats and can be wrapped as party favours
* Lay out white pillar candles in varying heights for an impactful feature
- Images compiled from Pinterest
Merry Christmas everyone. Stay stylish x