Forget the race that stops the nation, Melbourne Cup Day is all about the head-turning fashion that stops you in your tracks as far as I’m concerned.
The best Melbourne Cup Day action is off the field where the fashion happens and I’ll have a front row seat tomorrow as MC of Fashions on the Field.
I’ve put together a list of style tips over on the Brisbane Racing Club website but in summary, here are my top five:ld. I’m expecting some fabulous race wear looks, especially seeing as though this season lends itself so well to race wear with beautiful florals, striking black and white (my personal choice this year) and lovely lace.
* Remember to dress appropriately for day. For girls this means no nightclub attire, rather elegant daywear. For men this means considering the Qld heat and opting for lightweight fabrics that won’t fry you in the sun (oh, and no white shoes please, no really please).
* Coordinate your look head-to-toe. Race wear is one of the few rare times in fashion that a matchy-matchy ensemble is de rigueur. Match your headpiece to your dress, and your bag, shoes and jewellery to your hat. Easy, right?
* Men, add some gentlemanly finishing touches – a pocket square, tie pin, cufflinks or all of the above. It’s all about the details.
* Be comfortable. It’s a long day, on your feet most of the time, so wear a supportive heel and nothing too tight or uncomfortable – it’ll show and it’ll take away from your day.
* Have fun! The races are a fantastic chance to dress up, play ladies (and gents) and enjoy a day out with friends. Make the most of it.