A crowdfunding page for the tenants of a Paddington home that was destroyed by fire on the weekend has already raised more than $40,000 in just one day.

Two Paddington homes were caught in the Warmington Street blaze on Sunday morning, which is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.

Although the residents of both houses were able to escape, the fire did significant damage to both properties.

That led Joshua Zaini to start a GoFundMe page on behalf of his friends who lived in one of the houses.

Zaini, who kicked off the appeal with a stunning $10,000 donation of his own, says all funds raised by the campaign will go directly to the residents, who were renting the property and don’t have contents insurance.

“Our closest friends who were renting the home in Paddington were inside asleep as it caught fire,” Zaini wrote.

“Miraculously they all managed to escape, some with injuries. If it weren’t for the fire alarms, barking dogs and some quick thinking, this could have been a far more tragic story.

“Although they escaped with their lives, some of the residents lost everything. They are not the sort of people to ask for help, so I am asking on their behalf.

“If you can spare a few dollars to help good people get back on their feet after an unexpected and difficult event, it will go a long way.

“Our friends were renting the home so we do not know if the building was insured, but the contents of the house were not.

“All funds raised will go directly to the victims of the house fire.”

Since it was posted yesterday, the campaign has raised more than $40,000 from 172 donors.

People identifying as relatives of the residents have posted in the comments, thanking donors for their generosity.

“I’m a sister of one of the housemates. I would like to thank Josh who kicked off this with his generous donation. I’m so overwhelmed with the generosity of people. I’d like to thank everyone for their support and donations. Thank goodness everyone got out alive,” Mel Hammond wrote.

“I am a parent of one of the boys. Can’t even remotely contemplate what they have gone through… also staying so far away in overseas made me sad and horrified all day long. Thinking of you all… Thanks to Josh who started this great initiative with such a generous donation. Also thanks to all wonderful people with such generosity and kindness,” wrote Khondker Rahman Babu.

You can find out more about the Warmington Street house fire appeal here.