There’s a new mega retailer in town. Here’s everything you need to know about our latest resident, Costco.
The Brisbane Costco fanbase has had an anxious wait over the years, holding their collective breath as the North Lakes store plans were finalized. The store is now set to open this Thursday 29 May.
Costco is a membership warehouse club and you’ll have to apply online for a membership card before you can visit or shop at the new North Lakes store. Members pay an annual fee to join the Costco club and in return are able buy a range of items at wholesale prices. The warehouse is home to groceries, confectionery, appliances, television and media, automotive supplies, tyres, toys, hardware, sporting goods, jewellery, watches, cameras, books, housewares, apparel, health and beauty aids, tobacco, furniture, office supplies and office equipment. It even has a hearing aide center, so you can have your hearing tested and then pick up a year’s supply of butter and Swarovski glass in one outing.
Momentum has been building in Brisbane since the store was approved by Deputy Premier and Minister for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning Jeff Seeney in April 2013. The store already has a devoted online fan base with three Facebook pages — Costco North Lakes News, Costco for North Lakes, Clues & Reviews and Costco in Brisbane Australia — popping up and attracting upwards of 20,000 members. But what is all the fuss about?
Here’s everything you need to know about the cult of Costco and it’s new North Lakes house of worship.
- Costco North Lakes contains a petrol station, only the second one in Australia, which opened its bowsers on 15 May. On its opening day unleaded fuel was around 15¢ cheaper than other Brisbane stations and RACQ has stated that Costco’s foray into the fuel market could save members up to $250 a year.
- While in other Australian Costco stores you can buy discounted liquor, beer and wine, Queensland’s liquor laws mean Brisbane Costco customers won’t be enjoying happy hour.
- Brisbane people are so dedicated to the Costco brand that the Costco in Brisbane Facebook page has been running for more than three years, despite plans only being finalised last year.
- Business membership is the basic Costco membership and costs $55 per year. This entitles you to make two separate transactions at the register, one for business (to produce a tax receipt) and one for your
personal shopping. Gold star membership is $60 per year and gold star members are only able to make one individual transaction per shop. Both membership types include a free household card.
- Costco is aiming for Queensland domination, with plans to open up to four stores in the southeast. North Lakes would be joined by potential stores around Logan, the western suburbs, and on the Gold Coast.
- In the USA, if you’re feeling particularly morbid about society’s future, you can always go to Costco’s Emergency Kits and Supplies page to order things like the “Emergency Cube,” which provides over 30,000 servings of food with a shelf life of 25 years. Costco also has a pretty good selection of coffins that can even be ordered online. We’ll have to wait and see if the North Lakes store is as cheery.
- All aisles are unmarked on purpose — so shoppers will wander the store, see more items, and spend more
- Costco sells 109 million hot dog and soft drink combinations worldwide per year at $1.50 for the combination of the two items. Each hot dog is more than 1/4 pounds and the hot dog and soft drink combination has been sold in all Costco locations since its founding in 1983.
- Aisles are deliberately set up so that shoppers put unexpected items into their shopping cart. According to Costco, those items are called “treasures”.
- Costco’s top selling item is Kirkland branded toilet paper. In 2011 they sold one billion rolls – enough to wrap around the earth 1,200 times.
- When Costco North Lakes first opened up it advertised a range of random jobs, including a tyre installer and a cake decorator.
- The new North Lakes store is located at 17-39 Cook Court and will be open Monday to Friday from 10am to 8:30 pm, Saturday from 9am to 5pm and Sunday from 10am to 6pm.
Will you be purchasing a membership and shopping at Costco? Let us know below!
More Costco Coverage
Where should the next Costco open in Queensland?
10 things you don’t know about Costco
Cracking the Costco code
10 weird things you can buy at Costco North Lakes
After Costco, what’s next? 10 more stores that need to come to Brisbane