How do you know if you have an allergy? What type of allergies are there ? All your allergy questions answered.
Allergies can cause havoc, pain and sometimes loss of life, so its important to know your facts.
According to Allergy and Anaphylaxis Australia an allergy occurs when a person’s immune system reacts (generally badly) with a substance in the environment that is usually harmless to most people. For Superman it was Krytptonite, for us mere mortals it can almost be anything.
Here is some basic facts about allergies that everyone should know.
Common types of Allergies
- dairy products
- dust mites
- hay fever
Allergies to nature
Common symptoms of Allergies
- runny nose
- itchy eyes
- skin rash
- abdominal pains
- breathing problems
Never self-diagnose yourself with an allergy always see your doctor to make sure another medical condition is not causing your symptoms. Living with an allergy can be hard to manage especially when out with friends. If you have a severe allergy you should be extremely careful to not expose yourself to the harmful substance. the tips below are a starting point for those who suffer from allergies.
How to live with an allergy
- Never leave the house without the appropriate medication
- Make sure your friends, family, work colleagues, teachers etc. are aware of your allergy
- Avoid places that are commonly associated with the substance that causes your problems
- If you have a food allergy make sure when you eat out the staff are aware of it.
- If you feel like you are having an allergic reaction take your medication, or if the reaction is extreme call an ambulance.
- Even if you are not sure if you have an allergy or you think you maybe having an allergic reaction go to your doctor or call an ambulance, its better to be safe !
For more information on allergies go to www.allergyfacts.org
What allergies do you have and how do you deal with them?