From the top spots to eat to the best vantage points and where to park – everything you need to know about this year’s Riverfire is right here!
Get ready for the best fireworks display of your life, when the Sunsuper Riverfire ignites the riverside with a pyrotechnic extravaganza this Saturday 26 September!
We’ve put together your ultimate guide to Riverfire 2015, so you can just sit back and enjoy the show.
The fun will start early this year, with an aerial display from the Army and RAAF Base Amberley Aviation display between 3pm and 6pm, so keep your eyes open!
Meanwhile the spectacular fireworks display will kick off at 7pm, which includes the final passes by the F18 Super hornets to mark the start of the display. There are three barges this year as well as rooftop fireworks, so there will be plenty of colourful explosions in the sky!
Best vantage points
There are plenty of great places to see the fireworks this year. Here are some of the best spots to camp out, just make sure you get there early!
- The Parklands, South Bank
- Victoria Bridge
- Dock Street
- Kangaroo Point Cliffs
- Captain Burke Park
- Wilson’s Lookout
- City Riverwalk (including Riverside Centre and Eagle Street Peer)
All these sites offer food and beverages for sale. Those with limited mobility, access is available at South Bank, Eagle Street Pier, Riverside Centre and Captain Burke Park. For the full vantage point map click here
Quieter vantage points
If you don’t feel like battling the crowds, there are also some much quieter spots you can enjoy the fireworks from.
- Mount Gravatt Outlook Reserve
- Mount Coot-tha lookout
- Camp Hill Bowls Club, Ferguson Road
- Bartleys lookout, Ascot
- Trammies Corner, Paddington
- Gateway Bridge
- Plucks Road, Arana Hills
- Collins Road, Ferny Hills
- Holy Trinity Church, Woolloongabba
If you after something away from all the hustle and bustle, why not see a movie at Palace Barracks? This year, they’ll be celebrating Riverfire with a special screening of the ’80s classic Top Gun, starring Tom Cruise. From 6pm enjoy incredible views of the fireworks and watch the Super Hornet flyovers from the foyer, then from 7:45pm get ready to fly into the danger zone with Tom Cruise. Palace Barracks is also giving you the chance to win a one hour flight simulator experience, plus heaps of other prizes! To book visit www.palacecinemas.com.au
Top spots to eat
Why not enjoy the show with a glass of wine and a delicious meal? Here are some of the tops spots to dine at!
- La Vue Waterfront Restaurant will be offering a delicious 3 course Riverfire menu, featuring lobster medallions, veal eye fillet with morel mushrooms and potato boulangere and mouth-watering Belgium white and dark chocolate parfait, plus a glass of Mumm Cordon Rouge Brut all from just $150 per head. To book call 3831 1400 or visit www.lavuerestaurant.com.au
- Tucked beside Stokehouse at South Bank’s riverside, Aquitaine Brasserie is offering a 3 course set menu and amuse bouche for $120 per person. To book call 3844 1888 or visit www.aquitainebrasserie.com.au
- Stokehouse Q is offering 4 courses, a glass of Bollinger “special cuvee” on arrival and front row seats to the fireworks all for just $220 per person. Bookings are essential call 3020 0600 or visit www.stokehousebrisbane.com.au
- Cove Bar + dining menu has something for everyone to enjoy, all served amid a luxe, modern setting with incredible views across the river. To book call 3844 3993 or visit www.covebardining.com.au
- The Jetty South Bank is the perfect location to enjoy Riverfire with a Balinese holiday style setting and a menu full of modern Australian meals with an Asian twist. To book call 3844 8838 or visit www.thejettysouthbank.com.au
- Popolo Italian Kitchen and Bar is offering a four hour drinks package and plenty of yummy gourmet bites for just $145 per person. To book call 3846 7784 or visit www.popolodining.com
- Aria is located at Eagle Street Pier and has uninterrupted views of the Brisbane River. They’re offering a 3 course menu with a choice of 5 dishes per course and a glass of Bartlett’s sparkling wine on arrival, all from just $150 per person. To book call 3233 2555 or visit www.ariarestaurant.com/brisbane.
- To celebrate the event, IL Centro is offering a 3 course Riverfire meal from just $110 per person. To book call 3221 6090 or visit www.il-centro.com.au
- This year, The Fox Hotel is holding a Riverfire rooftop soiree, including a 4 hour food and drink package from just $89 per person. There’ll be a gourmet BBQ feast, wine and beer, live entertainment and of course Brisbane’s best views. To book visit www.thefox.com.au/riverfire
- South Bank Surf Club is offering a three-hour drinks package, canapés on arrival, a mega barbecue main (featuring meat and prawns) and dessert canapés for just $110 per person. To book call 3844 7301 or visit www.southbanksurfclub.com.au/riverfire-2015-brisbane-citys-best-riverfire-event
- Enjoy drinks and the show at South Bank Beer Garden with awesome deals on drink packages and meals. To book call 3073 9568 or visit www.southbankbeergarden.com.au
- Enjoy your afternoon with Che Asado’s delicious Riverfire Asado offer! For just $95 for two, receive an Asado Meat Platter for two and a bottle of house wine or jug of Sangria. To book call 3073 9543 or visit www.cheasado.com.au
If you’re on a budget this year, you could always bring your own snacks and treats to the event or you could buy an already made picnic basket.
Dalton Hospitality do a range of incredible outdoor picnic baskets for two, including sandwiches, spreads, finger food and all sorts of goodies.
If you want something sweet for the occasion visit Jocelyn’s Provisions, Chester Street Bakery and Bar, Pamela’s Pantry or Sally the Cake Lady, offering incredible pastries, cakes, tarts and savoury options too. Treat yourself!
There will also be plenty of takeaway food options available on the night. Try Fins and Feathers, Cosmos, Subway, Cafe Lagoona and for dessert New Zealand Natural.
If that’s still not in your budget, you could always go for the cheaper option and get a hot chicken or a deli platter from Woolworths or Coles.
Riverfire is an alcohol free event, unfortunately BYO wine or beer will not be permitted.
There will be extensive road closures throughout the city, South Bank, West End, Kangaroo Point and Fortitude Valley areas, as well as river closures and parking restrictions during Riverfire – so Brisbane Festival recommend you use public transport. You can see Translink’s public transport timetables here. For more info on road closures and restrictions click here.
But, if you do feel like driving in, here are some great places you can park.
- Secure Parking is offering guaranteed parking spaces throughout the city from just $5 during Riverfire, a saving of more than 40 per cent on normal parking rates if you pre-book your parking at www.secureparking.com.au/promotions/riverfire-2015
- The Myer Centre car park will also be offering parking deals for bookings made online entering from 4pm on Saturday 26th September and exiting before 7am September 27th. To book click here
- King George Square and Wickham Terrace carparks will have a special $5 rate for Riverfire, entry from 7am and exit before midnight.
- QPAC, Queensland Museum and GOMA car parks – after 4pm, entry and exit only via Stanley Place.
- BCEC car park – after 4pm, entry and exit only via Merivale Street
- Rydges and Mantra Hotels - between 4pm – 7.15pm, N0 ACCESS to Grey Street, access only via Merivale or Cordelia Street to Glenelg Street. NO ACCESS after 7.15pm until 9.30pm.
- South Bank Cinemas and Thiess Building – between 4pm – 7.15pm, NO ACCESS to Grey Street, access only via Merivale and Ernest Streets. NO ACCESS after 7.15pm until 9:30pm.
- 199 Grey Street and Galleria Apartments - between 4pm – 7.15pm, NO ACCESS to Grey Street, access only via Merivale and Tribune Streets. NO ACCESS after 7.15pm until 9.30pm.
- South Bank car park - Glenelg Street, entry and exit up until 7.15pm. After 7.15pm until 9.30pm only via Tribune Street.
And don’t worry, if you can’t be there this year you can watch it live on TV. Channel Nine will have exclusive television coverage from 6.30pm, making sure everyone in Brisbane has the best view of their city!